Monday, August 18, 2014

A short text about choices and opportunities

At certain moments in life you come upon a point that you ask yourself “And now what? What’s the next step? What is it that I can do that will take me one step closer to finding my passion, to accomplish great things, to be of most use to the world?”

Sometimes, fortunately, opportunities arise. But, how do you know which opportunity to take? We are incapable of predicting the outcome of our decisions, so how can we guarantee that the choices we make will be the right ones? And; how can you be sure that the opportunity you’re focusing on isn’t a step to high for you to reach? Wouldn’t you be better off aiming for something less ambitious, something that is easier to aim for, that will have a bigger chance of success to start with?

Choices, choices, choices. Maybe I just want too much. Maybe I’m too eager to get started with changing the world, whilst I still have to finish my Bachelor Environmental Science study. Maybe I’m asking too much from myself, being a person who needs time to do things well and to grow. Maybe I’m not born for excellence in the way that I can make a fast career, have a great network, make a big impact on the world at a young age…

That are a lot of maybe’s. Which is basically what life’s all about. Nothing is for sure.
So, at the moment, I’m going after a couple of possible opportunities. They might not work out, they might not lead me to where I want to be. For the coming months, I’m going to try get myself on an expedition to Antarctica, publish a wildlife conservation proposal of the Iberian Wolf, and develop an Environmental Education Program about marine environments and tourism.

Which might perfectly well not work out. Which might be a step too high for me right now. I’m reaching for the stars, but maybe it’s not my time yet.

But I don’t think I will lose anything for the sake of trying to do what I want to do. As I said in my last post, failure is not a bad thing, but rather an opportunity, and that we should all live our lives so that, when we look back, we’ll do so without regrets


No comments:

Post a Comment