Friday, March 9, 2012

Friendship / amistad


There is this thing that I find very odd. Well, maybe I’m a little odd too and considering the fact that most of my time I spend thinking about almost everything possible might contribute to my perception that that thing I want to talk about is odd.

Today I want to talk about friendship. About what I consider is truly friendship but that most people don’t even seem to know what that is and are content with “friendship”.

I mean. If you are friends with people, tell me: would you be there by their side? Would you support them with the things they do? Would you show them unconditional respect, love and loyalty? Would you try to cheer them up when they are down, and tell them things that makes their life happier?

Or would you ignore them in times when they most need a person by their side? Would you refuse to help them when they are in need of help? Would you talk behind their back about the secrets they believed were safe with you? Would you deliberately humiliate, depreciate and shame them? Would you take advantage of them?

I’m sure that now you will say: “of course I’m like the description in the first paragraph with examples!”  And “I would neeeever do such things!” and “oh, but I know people who are exactly like the description in the 2º paragraph”

Hmmm. Well. Sure. You know, humans tend to forget the bad things they themselves did, and only remember (and even exaggerate!) the bad things other people did to them. Individual humans tend to be much less strict for themselves then for others. Because individually about ourselves we say: “oh, but I had this and this excuse” whilst when we talk about others it’s often that we say “this and that person did that certain thing because he/she is lazy/bad/takes advantage of everyone etc”.
Honestly! That not very fair, right? But that’s just what humans do.

I confess that I am not perfect, and that in the past I have also made mistakes. Like everyone else has, undoubtly. But I can also say that now, now that I’m learning about fundamental things like love, happiness and inner peace, I am a good friend. At least, I try my very best at it :)

And by being who I am now, it disables me to understand how anyone could ever want to hurt someone they call friend. I can’t understand that people lie by saying someone is their friend but in the meantime all their actions indicate otherwise.  I can’t understand how anyone could deliberately hurt someone and call him/herself a friend of this hurt person.

To me, friendship is a relationship. Of course it is! People tend to relate relationship immediately with romantic relationship, but I just refer to a relation there is between people. (hope I didn’t confuse you!) And to me, in whatever honest relationship, it seems natural to be there, to help the friend grow as a person, to help the friend reach its full potential, to experience life, to see, to learn. Friendship is there to benefit both thanks to social human interaction. To me, friendship is not just something you can “buy” and throw it away when it doesn’t benefit you anymore. Which happens only too often….

Or do I see it all wrong? Should I care less about my friends? I have friends, and to be honest quite a lot, who are people who will always be important to me. To me friends are extremely important, and I couldn’t live without them. Thanks to then I have learnt, laughed, cried. I have talked, and listened. I have helped, and I have received help.  I have grown as a human being, and I have become me.

Maybe to most people it seems like I care too much about my friends. Well, what can I say? At least I don’t hurt and humiliate my friends. At least I don’t spread their most intimate secrets around. At least I don’t ignore them when they are no longer of use to me.

No. what I do is being there for them. What I do is helping them, telling them how to cope with life, how to be happy. Or just simply to have a great time going out, laughing, talking! And I do all of this unconditionally. Do you know why? Because when I was the one who needed help, they were by my side. Unconditionally.

Maybe that has been one of the greatest life lessons to me.

Thank you. thank you with all my heart, my dearest friends.



Hoy quiero hablar sobre la amistad. Acerca de lo que yo considero que es realmente amistad, pero que la mayoría de la gente ni siquiera parece saber y se conforman con "amistad".

Lo que quiero decir es que, si eres amigo/a de alguien, dime: ¿estarías allí a su lado? ¿Le apoyarías con las cosas que hace? Le muestras respeto, amor y lealtad incondicional? ¿Tratarías de animarle cuando tiene un mal día y le dirías cosas que hace su vida más feliz?

¿O le ignorarías en los momentos cuando más necesita a una persona a su lado? ¿Negarías a ayudarle cuando necesita de ayuda? ¿Hablarías detrás de su espalda sobre los secretos que creía que estaban a salvo contigo? ¿Le humillarías, despreciarías y avergonzarías deliberadamente? ¿Te aprovecharías de él/ella?

Estoy seguro de que ahora vas a decir: "por supuesto que soy como la descripción en el primer párrafo con ejemplos!" Y "yo nuuuunca haría esas cosas!" Y "oh, pero conozco a personas que son exactamente como las descripción en el 2º párrafo

Hmmm. Bueno. Claro. ¿Sabes qué?, los humanos tendemos a olvidar las cosas malas que ellos mismos hacen, y sólo recuerden (e incluso exageran!) las cosas malas que otras personas hacen a ellos. Los seres humanos individuales tienden a ser mucho menos estricto para sí mismos, que para los demás. Individualmente decimos sobre nosotros mismos: "Oh, pero yo tenía esto y esta excusa", mientras que cuando hablamos sobre los demás a menudo lo que decimos es "esta y esa persona hizo esa determinada cosa porque él / ella es perezoso / malo / se aprovecha de todo el mundo etc”.
Honestamente! Eso no es muy justo, ¿verdad? Pero eso es lo que hacen los seres humanos.

Confieso que no soy perfecta, y que en el pasado también he cometido errores. Al igual que todos, indudablemente. Pero también puedo decir que ahora, ahora que estoy aprendiendo sobre las cosas fundamentales como el amor, la felicidad y la paz interior, soy una buena amiga. Por lo menos, intento lo mejor posible :).

Y por ser quien soy ahora, me resulta imposible entender cómo alguien podría querer hacer daño a alguien a quien llama amigo. No puedo entender que la gente miente al decir que alguien es su amigo, pero mientras tanto todas sus acciones indican lo contrario. No puedo entender cómo alguien podría deliberadamente hacer daño a alguien y llamarse amigo de esta persona herida.

Para mí, la amistad es una relación. Por supuesto que lo es! Las personas tienden a relacionar ese término inmediatamente con una relación romántica, pero “relación” simplemente se refiere a una relación que hay entre la gente. (Espero que no te he confundido!) Y para mí, en cualquier relación honesta, me parece natural estar allí para esa persona, para ayudar al amigo a crecer como persona, para ayudar al amigo alcanzar su máximo potencial, para experimentar la vida, para ver , para aprender. La amistad es para beneficiar a ambos, gracias a la interacción social humana. Para mí, la amistad no es sólo algo que se puede "comprar" y tirar a la basura cuando ya no es beneficioso. Algo que por desgracia sucede con demasiada frecuencia ....

¿O es que yo lo veo todo mal? ¿Debería importarme menos mis amigos? Tengo amigos, y para ser honesto tengo bastantes, y ellos son personas quien siempre serán importantes para mí. Para mí los amigos son muy importantes, y yo no podría vivir sin ellos. Gracias a ellos, he aprendido, reído, llorado. He habladoescuchado. Me han ayudado, y he recibido ayuda. He crecido como ser humano, y me he convertido en .

Tal vez para la mayoría de la gente parece que me preocupo demasiado por mis amigos. Bueno, ¿qué te puedo decir? Por lo menos no hago daño y humillo a mis amigos. Por lo menos yo no divulgo sus secretos más íntimos por ahí. Por lo menos yo no los ignoro, cuando ya no son de utilidad para mí.
No. Lo que hago es estar ahí para ellos. Lo que hago es ayudarles, diciéndoles cómo enfrentar la vida, cómo ser feliz. O simplemente para pasar un buen rato saliendo, riendo o hablando! Y hago todo esto sin condiciones. ¿Sabes por qué? Porque cuando yo era la quien necesitaba ayuda, ellos estaban a mi lado. Incondicionalmente.

Tal vez eso ha sido una de las lecciones más grandes de la vida para mí.
Gracias. Gracias con todo mi corazón, mis queridos amigos.


No comments:

Post a Comment