Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The value of handmade gifts/ El valor de regalos hechas a mano


Penguins - January 2011
I have this habit to make things myself. If it’s someone’s birthday or another special occasion I usually make a bracelet, write a card, make a drawing/painting, or some other kind of creative thing.

Very much the opposite to the majority of people, who tend to go to a shop, buy something quite impersonal and factory made, and give that as a present. Ok, some gifts are nice. I’m not complaining about some of the things people have given to me with the passing of the years. Not valuable things to anyone but myself, for they contain memories of the persons I love.

But… most gifts are, forgive me, quite useless. And impersonal. I mean: how much work did you really put in that factory made bracelet you just gave to a friend? And how much inner dedication have you dedicated to those cheap pair of socks you bought in the neighborhood store as a gift for your partner? I’m sure that, no matter how kind your intentions may be, the time and personal dedication for such gifts is quite little.

Now, I’m not saying I’m better for making most of the gifts I give myself. And I do sometimes buy things too. I know how hard it is to make something all by yourself, and even more when you believe you’re not a creative person.  Or when you don’t have enough time.

And in reality… people nowadays seem to like more things from shops then self-made. At least that feeling is the one I get. Always when I give something I myself have made to someone I get the feeling that they maybe think I’m childish. You know, because normally its children who made tons of things for the people they care about, and the ones who receive the gifts always try their best to be enthusiastic with the self made gift.

But well, maybe that feeling just comes from my own insecurity.

Anyway. I like making things. Even when I’m very busy studying. Even when I have exams, or work. I find time to make gifts that show my appreciation for people. My bracelets, paintings, letters aren’t as empty as those presents bought in shops. For me I put so much care, love and dedication in it. When I make a gift I do it with all the appreciation and love I have inside me for this person who will receive it. But well, no one apparently seems to even care.  No one ever sees the value of it, nor thinks to do something likewise.

Because “perfect” materialistic objects are so much more valued nowadays than an imperfect handmade gift.

But really: how difficult is it to: write a letter to the ones you care about? Make a drawing? Bring home some self arranged flowers from the countryside? Make a cake? Give photos you know this person will like? Make a decorated shoebox to put things in?

I can give so many ideas, and really, not difficult at all, nor costly in neither time nor money…

butterfly-April 2010
landscape - 2008-2010










Tengo el hábito de hacer cosas yo misma. Cuando es el cumple de alguien, u otro ocasión especial, normalmente hago una pulsera, escribo una carta, hago un dibujo/cuadro, u otro tipo de cosa creativa.

Muy opuesto a lo que hace la mayoría de las personas, quien suelen ir a las tiendas, compran algo bastante impersonal y hecho en fábrica, y lo dan como regalo. Vale, algunos regalos son bonitos. No me quejo sobre los regalos que me han dado algunas personas queridos durante los años. No son cosas valiosas, menos para mí, ya que contienen recuerdos de las personas quien quiero.

Pero…la mayoría de los regalos son, perdóname, bastante inútiles. E impersonales. Quiero decir que: ¿Cuánto trabajo propio realmente has puesto en esa pulsera hecha en fábrica que lo diste a tu amiga hace poco? ¿y cuanto dedicación interno has dado para esos calcetines baratos que has comprado en la tienda del pueblo para dar a tu pareja? Estoy segura que, da igual que bueno sea tu intención, el tiempo y la dedicación personal que hayas puesto en ello ha sido bastante poco

Ahora bien, no estoy diciendo que yo soy mejor por hacer los regalos yo mismo. Y yo también a veces compro cosas. Sé qué difícil es hacer algo totalmente tú mismo, y aun más cuando tienes la creencia de carecer creatividad. O cuando no tienes mucho tiempo.

Y en realidad… personas hoy en día parecen gustar más las cosas que vienen de una tienda que cosas hechos a mano. Por lo menos, eso es la sensación que me da a mí. Siempre cuando doy algo que yo misma he hecho a alguien me da la sensación que ellos quizás piensan que soy como una niña pequeña. ¿Sabes? Porque los niños pequeños suelen hacer toneladas de cosas para las personas a quien quieren, y las personas quien recibe tal regalo siempre tienen que intentar ser entusiasta por los regalos recibidos.

Pero bueno, quizás ese sentimiento viene de mi propia inseguridad

De todas formas, me gusta hacer cosas. Incluso cuando estoy ocupada con los estudios, incluso cuando tengo exámenes, o trabajo. Encuentro el tiempo para hacer regalos que expresan mi apreciación por las personas. Mis pulseras, cuadros, cartas no son tan vacías como esos regalos comprados en una tienda. Para mí, pongo tanto cuidado, amor y dedicación en ello. Cuando hago un regalo, lo hago con toda la apreciación y amor que tengo dentro de mí para esa persona. Pero bueno, aparentemente nadie lo vea. Nadie vea su valor, ni se le ocurre hacer algo similar.

Porque objetos materiales “perfectos” son tanto más deseable hoy en día que un regalo imperfecto hecho a mano…

Pero de verdad! Cómo de difícil es: escribir una carta para la persona quien quieres? Hacer un dibujo? Llevar a casa algunos flores del campo? Cocinar una tarta? Dar fotos de las cuales sabes que a la persona le va gustar? Hacer una caja de zapatos decorado para guardar cosas?

Puedo dar tantas ideas, y de verdad, no es para nada difícil, ni costoso en cuanto a dinero o tiempo…

Ocelot - Febuary 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment