Sunday, November 4, 2012

Ambitions /Ambiciones


Everybody has got ambitions of some kind. They are all different of course, just as every person is different. Some ambitions are harder to reach then others, and a few are nearly impossible.

I have got quite a high ambition; working at a high political level (preferably the United nations) on environmental programs, in order to impulse sustainable development, teach others about the importance of an harmonious interaction between Humans and Nature, and in general to help to make this world a better place for all living beings.

But, in all my modesty, and possibly also in a certain lack of faith in myself, I sometimes doubt I’ll be able to make it so far. I mean; what do I have that’s special? Between the 7 billion humans on this planet I find it quite hard to believe that I can do something special that others cannot. I don’t believe that I am irreplaceable. Besides, you have to consider the facts that I’ve never really won a prize, never went to a high standard-guarantee for great accomplishments-school, never been someone outstanding. The only positive thing from my form of education is that I’m developing a high amount of self-discipline and autodidactism.
I’m just saying; people who know important influential people, who have gone to the best universities in the world, they have an enormous headstart compared to me. They have been taught to be great so many times they believe unfailingly in themselves and their greatness. Whilst I linger in modesty and believe rather in my smallness then in my greatness.

So, to me, my ambition seems just as far away to me as it was walking on the moon beginning 20th century. Meaning; I’m not ready yet. I’m just starting to fully live as a person, growing, learning, becoming a citizen of the world. I’ve only just started with my environmental study, and if everything will go well that will be a 6 year full time study. So I have time. Time to become more confident in myself. Time to learn everything needed for such a high ambition. Time to figure out how to combine that ambition with all the others I have; travelling the world, having a family, growing as a person, helping others, keep on writing..

So, I’m just a regular person. Far from outstanding. I have yet many capacities to develop, and much to learn. But I’m me. A unique human being. With a great capacity of insight, love, and will. At times I fear that sustainability is just a far away dream, but even in the deepest moments of hopelessness when I don’t know where to start it never leaves my mind. This is my path, my message to the world, a life dedicated to helping others.  

I could keep on saying that I’m not special, not outstanding, just a regular person. But then I would be forgetting the words of many other great people before me; to never doubt in your own greatness, to never play small, as that wouldn’t serve the world.

So, if you have an ambition, and it seems unlikely in this moment of life for you to reach it; don’t ever start doubting in yourself. Give it time, give yourself and the circumstances time to grow and develop. Never give up the things that make you a better person to the world, nor what makes you truly happy. Believe in yourself, your capacities. Surround yourself by positive people who also believe in you. Don’t diminish yourself by believing you’re not special and that others can do what you do. Because you’re you. Special. Unique. No one can replace you, and your message to the world might be a beautiful one.


Todo el mundo tiene ambiciones de algún tipo. Todos son diferentes, por supuesto, al igual que cada persona es diferente. Algunos ambiciones son más difíciles de alcanzar que otros, y otros son casi imposibles.

Tengo una ambición muy alta; el de trabajar a un alto nivel político (preferentemente en las Naciones Unidas) en programas del Medio Ambiente, con el fin de impulsar el desarrollo sostenible, enseñar a otros acerca de la importancia de una interacción armoniosa entre el hombre y la naturaleza, y en general ayudar a hacer de este mundo un lugar mejor para todos los seres vivos.

Pero, con toda mi modestia, y posiblemente también en una cierta falta de fe en mí misma, a veces dudo que seré capaz de llegar tan lejos. Quiero decir, ¿qué tengo yo de especial? Entre los 7 mil millones de humanos en este planeta me parece muy difícil de creer que yo puedo hacer algo especial que otros no pueden. Además, hay que considerar el hecho de que nunca he ganado un premio, nunca fui a una escuela de alto nivel (y  garantía para grandes logros), nunca he sido una persona excepcional. Lo único positivo de mi forma de educación es que estoy desarrollando una gran cantidad de auto-disciplina y el autodidactismo.
Sólo quiero decir que la gente quien conocen personas importantes e influyentes, que han ido a las mejores universidades del mundo, tienen una ventaja inicial enorme comparado conmigo. Se les ha enseñado tantas veces que son hechos para hacer grandes cosas en la vida que creen indudablemente en sí mismos y su grandeza. Mientras que yo me detengo en la modestia y creo más bien en mi pequeñez que en mi grandeza.

Así que, para mí, mi ambición parece tan lejos para mí, como eso de estar caminando sobre la Luna a principios del siglo 20. Con eso digo; no estoy lista todavía. Estoy empezando a vivir plenamente como persona, creciendo, aprendiendo, convertirme en una ciudadana del mundo. Sólo he empezado con mi estudio de Ciencias Ambientales, y si todo va bien eso será un estudio de 6 años. Así que tengo tiempo. Tiempo para tener más confianza en mí mismo. Tiempo para aprender todo lo necesario para una gran ambición. Tiempo para encontrar la manera de combinar esta ambición con todos los demás que tengo: viajar por el mundo, tener una familia, crecer como persona, ayudar a otros, seguir escribiendo ..

Por lo tanto, sólo soy una persona normal. Lejos de sobresaliente. Me quedan todavía muchas capacidades para desarrollar, y mucho que aprender. Pero yo soy yo. Un ser humano único. Con una gran capacidad de comprensión, amor y voluntad. A veces temo que la sostenibilidad es un sueño lejano, pero incluso en los momentos más profundos de desesperación cuando no sé por dónde empezar, nunca sale ese deseo de mi mente. Este es mi camino, mi mensaje al mundo, una vida dedicada a ayudar a los demás.

Podría seguir diciendo que yo no soy especial, ni excepcional, una persona normal. Pero entonces estaría olvidando las palabras de muchos otros grandes humanos quien vinieron antes de yo, que nunca hay que dudar en tu propia grandeza, que nunca hay que actuar  pequeño, ya que eso no sirve al mundo.

Por lo tanto, si tienes una ambición, y parece poco probable en este momento de la vida para que puedas alcanzarlo, no se te ocurra empezar a dudar de ti mismo. Dale tiempo, da a ti y a  las circunstancias el tiempo  para crecer y desarrollarse. Nunca renuncias a las cosas que te hacen una mejor persona para el mundo, ni lo que te hace realmente feliz. Cree en ti mismo, tus capacidades. Rodéate de gente positiva quien también cree en ti. No te disminuyes al creer que no eres especial y que los demás pueden hacer lo que tú haces. Porque tú eres tú. Especial. Único. Nadie puede reemplazarte, y tu mensaje para el mundo podría ser muy hermoso.

No comments:

Post a Comment